Our COVID-19 Response
- We’re further reducing group sizes
- Now even fewer guests per vehicle
- Travel even further from the crowds
- Enhanced sanitation protocols
- Additional social distancing throughout
- Revised booking/cancellation policies
- More options to make your trip private
- Reduced single supplement fees
Click here to learn about our special photo departures.
- Exclusive Aurora Viewing LocationsView and photograph the northern lights from our glass Aurora Pod®, heated Aurora Domes, a cabin in the boreal forest, and a tepee warmed by a campfire
- Private Snowcoach ExpeditionAboard our custom snowcoach, drive atop a frozen river deep into the North Woods and snowshoe in search of moose, fox and Arctic hare
- Authentic Arctic AdventuresDiscover local lifestyles of Northern indigenous peoples on an array of winter activities, including igloo building and a traditional dog sled ride
The Best Way to Witness the Wonder of the Aurora!
- The Best Place on Earth to See the Northern Lights
We maximize your chance to see the northern lights in Churchill, because it is located directly beneath the Van Allen Belt, a layer of energy-charged particles that wraps the earth's polar regions. Originating in solar flares, these particles are carried by solar wind, becoming trapped in Earth’s magnetic field to create the phenomenon of the aurora. Winter skies are also clearer in Churchill than in other popular aurora-viewing destinations like Iceland and Lapland, upping your odds of seeing the lights. Our trips run in midwinter when nights are long and skies are dark, enhancing your chances for the best views.
- Churchill is the "Accessible Arctic"
While Churchill is technically subarctic, lying below the Arctic Circle, its location on the edge of the frozen expanse of Hudson Bay gives it a distinctly Arctic climate and cultural identity. Yet unlike getting to the top of Norway or Siberia or into the interior of the Yukon to see the northern lights, Churchill is easy to reach by air from Winnipeg, Manitoba's capital and largest city, which is served by many direct flights from the U.S.
- Four Different Private Settings for Aurora Viewing & Photography
In addition to outdoor observation well away from the lights of town and from our own private Aurora Pod®, look for the lights from Plexiglass-topped Aurora Domes offering a circular view
onthe night sky, from a cabin tucked deep within the boreal forest and heated by a wood stove, and in the photogenic setting of a dog musher's camp where an illuminated tepee and campfire provide an evocative foreground.
- Watch from the Warmth of Our Heated Glass Aurora Pod®
Nothing is more characteristically Arctic than standing under a clear winter sky and watching the artistry of the aurora light up the night. It can be frigid in Churchill in winter, however, so we take pains to ensure your comfort. Our exclusive Aurora Pod® is custom-designed to feature 360-degree views of the sky via an innovative glass top and walls inside a heated interior with cushioned seats.
- A Wilderness Snowcoach Expedition—for Our Guests Alone
Exclusively for Nat Hab travelers! Ride on a new custom-built snowcoach on an all-day excursion into the boreal forest. No one else has this access to roadless wilderness! Drive atop the frozen Churchill River and into the North Woods where you may choose to snowshoe in search of moose and wolf tracks and sightings of elusive winter wildlife. Gather for dinner at an isolated private cabin deep in the forest, warmed by a wood stove, followed by an evening spent searching for the northern lights.
- An Expedition Leader Plus Local Guide Allow Flexibility & Personalized Attention
In addition to your naturalist Expedition Leader, we also have the services of a local staff member dedicated exclusively to our group. This arrangement allows us to finesse our schedule and activities so that, for instance, guests who wish to stay out longer for snowshoeing can do so, or we can bring guests who wish back to the hotel earlier and allow others to stay out later in search of the northern lights, etc. When we have two guides available, we can offer service well "above and beyond" what you'll find elsewhere.
- Explore Our Arctic Environs on an Exclusive Slate of Adventures
The aurora may be top draw, but you'll enjoy a whole host of northern activities for a comprehensive Arctic adventure. From an authentic dog sled ride to local museums and cultural encounters with First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples whose presence in the region extends back centuries, you’ll gain wide-ranging insight into the history and traditions of the Canadian North. Through our 30+ years in Churchill, we've built relationships that provide experiences other travelers simply won't get.
- Private Chartered Flights to and from Churchill Maximize Your Time
We charter roundtrip flights to Churchill from Winnipeg, ensuring you get more time in nature and less time navigating security lines and waiting around airports.
- No Need to Buy Heavy Winter Gear—We Provide Parka, Boots & Gloves
Don’t worry about shelling out for a heavy parka, cumbersome Arctic snowboots and insulated gloves you may only wear once—we supply this cold-weather gear to use during your time in Churchill.
- See the Northern Lights with a Stellar Guide
While it's possible to travel on your own to Churchill to view the
aurora, there is no way to get the quality experience you'll have with our naturalist guide by your side. Our Expedition Leader is an expert on the Canadian North, offering in-depthinterpretation of the region’s geology, biology, history, cultures, and, of course, the aurora. We take pride in hiring the best guides in the industry—Nat Hab Expedition Leaders average 15 years’ experience, and with additional training and resources provided by WWF’s top scientists, your trip is sure to be a learning adventure. See Expedition Leader bios with traveler comments regarding the quality of our expert guides.
- Outstanding Aurora Photography Instruction
If your dream is to go home with stunning images of the aurora, choose a special photo departure. It can be tricky to capture photos of the northern lights—let our Expedition Leader, who is an aurora photography expert, provide essential coaching. And on our photography trips, you'll have plenty of access to help during the editing phase, too, with our guide by your side.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Outstanding Aurora Adventure
Natural Habitat Adventures offers you our exclusive guarantee that clearly states that we will meet the high expectations we set forth in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures Is World Wildlife Fund’s Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our small-group nature adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the world’s leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures its worldwide travel partner—a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!