- Discover the Rugged Dinaric & Julian AlpsExplore this dramatic limestone wonderland, an unspoiled mountain region where wildflowers and butterflies abound—including Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Visit a Griffon Vulture Reserve in CroatiaOn a private boat cruise among less-visited isles off the Dalmatian Coast, visit a reserve protecting endangered griffon vultures on the island of Cres
- Explore the Alpine Heights of Triglav National ParkRide a cable car to the top of Slovenia's highest peaks to wander alpine trails and admire turquoise Lake Bohinj, cradled in a glacial valley far below
Discover a Wilder Side of the Balkans
Croatia has become a popular European travel destination, famous for its balmy Mediterranean climate and historic seaside towns, and Slovenia is rapidly rising on travelers' radar, too. Some places in Croatia, like Dubrovnik, have gotten downright crowded, overrun with thousands of daily visitors from large cruise ships. In contrast, we reveal a more secluded slice of this Balkan terrain that highlights gorgeous natural settings and lesser-known wild places. It's a two-country combo expressly designed to delight nature travelers!
- A Distinctive Focus on Nature
Croatia is especially rich in history and culture, and that heritage draws plenty of visitors. But our main focus is the natural side of Croatia and Slovenia, from rugged canyons to alpine heights, pine-studded islands in the Adriatic, and dense forests that evoke what much of Europe looked like centuries ago. While we don't skip special cultural highlights, our emphasis is on natural settings off the standard tourist track.
- Travel with Just 12 Guests...and TWO Expedition Leaders
Our small group size allows the opportunity to explore more remote locales and stay in traditional places that bus-based tour groups and passengers aboard big cruise ships don't have access to. With fewer people, you get a far more peaceful experience—essential to rewarding nature travel. And, with two guides for just 12 guests, we can divide the group for different activities and ensure exceptional attention in every context.
- Look for Eastern European Wildlife
Croatia and Slovenia contain some of the most extensive mountain habitat for wildlife in all of Europe. In these less-impacted ecosystems, keep an eye out for species such as ural owl, golden eagle and chamois. And while we are unlikely to see them, this vast wild region also shelters elusive brown bear, wolf and lynx. On the Dalmatian Coast, look for bottlenose dolphins and endangered loggerhead sea turtles, and observe rare griffon vultures at a reserve on the island of Cres.
- Active Exploration for Intimate Nature Encounters
To get the most out of your Balkan adventure, it's ideal to spend some time on foot. We hike a short portion of the Via Dinarica long-distance trekking path through Croatia's Dinaric Alps and wander trails on top of Slovenia's Triglav National Park, overlooking Lake Bohinj far below—views you can't get from a vehicle!
- Fabulous Local Food and Wine
Our guests don’t tend to choose our nature adventures primarily for the food, although it’s generally excellent. On this adventure, however, dining is a hallmark. Savor fresh seafood caught hours earlier, olive oil produced on Dalmatia's islands, artisan honey and cheese, and a renaissance in ancient winemaking. The culinary scene in Croatia and Slovenia is most definitely a highlight!
- Outstanding Naturalist Expedition Leaders
We're known for the quality of our guides, and you'll find that the leadership on this trip is no exception. With a deep knowledge of the coastal and alpine ecosystems in Croatia and Slovenia, your Expedition Leaders enhance your adventure in a way that makes you feel safe, cared for and enlightened. Read our Expedition Leader bios and traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures a Rewarding Experience
With Natural Habitat Adventures, you get our exclusive guarantee, promising that we will meet the lofty expectations set in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most impressive guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise for yourself!
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel as well as the exceptional quality of our worldwide adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the world's leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures as its worldwide travel partner, a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!