- Visit Monarch Migration GrovesOn foot and horseback, enter the remote fir forests of Mexico's Central Highlands, where millions of monarchs roost and breed each winter
- Listen to the Sound of Butterfly WingsWhen the sun emerges, hear the hum of gossamer butterfly wings as tens of thousands of monarchs take flight, fluttering overhead in a cloud of orange
- Discover Local Culture with Local GuidesExplore traditional Mexican mountain villages and visit an authentic market, witnessing the benefits of butterfly ecotourism for local people
Highlight 1 title
Highlight 1 description
Highlight 2 title
Highlight 2 description
Highlight 3 title
Highlight 3 description
Photo Departures Available
See More Butterflies on Our All-Inclusive, In-Depth Journey
- Make Three Different Monarch Sanctuary Visits
Very few companies offer tours to see the migration phenomenon of Mexico’s monarch butterflies. Of those that do, typically just a day trip is provided to one sanctuary. Our full package features a comprehensive itinerary including three separate monarch sanctuary visits, with all accommodations, meals and round-trip transportation from Mexico City.
- Our Small Groups Tread Lightly
We limit our groups to approximately 16 guests. And photo tours are limited to 12, to ensure personalized photography guidance. Small groups reduce our ecological impact, and an intimate context is essential for a quiet, wondrous experience with the butterflies.
- Enjoy Authentic Cultural Encounters
Unlike most butterfly tours, which are simply day trips to a single sanctuary, we also include several cultural encounters to enhance your authentic Mexico experience. At Toluca, originally an Indigenous settlement founded in the 13th century, we tour the Cosmovitral Botanic Gardens and stained glass panels, and in the lakeside resort town of Valle de Bravo, we visit the lively market in the colonial old town.
- Mexican Lodgings & Cuisine with Local Color
From a cozy inn in the small mountain hamlet of Angangueo to a luxury resort in a forested region of the Sierra Madre Mountains, our accommodations are chosen for their authenticity, charm, natural environs and access to the butterflies. We also savor home-cooked dishes sourced from fresh local food, reflecting the region's cultural heritage.
- Your Presence Makes a Difference for the Future of Monarchs
Your experience is enhanced by knowing that our presence is essential to the butterflies' continued survival: visitors demonstrate to locals that ecotourism can be a more viable and sustainable source of economic well-being than resource exploitation.
- Our Guide-to-Traveler Ratio Ensures Personalized Service and Attention
While the number of guides leading your trip depends on the number in the group (usually not more than 16, and just 12 on photo trips), the maximum guest-to-guide ratio will never be more than 8:1, ensuring a quiet, low-impact experience with the butterflies.
- Outstanding Expedition Leaders with Unsurpassed Experience
Nat Hab has a well-deserved international reputation for employing the highest-quality Expedition Leaders in the industry. Our monarch guides have years of experience, with in-depth training as naturalists. And, they receive additional resources from WWF's top scientists. Photo tours are led by a naturalist guide who is also an expert butterfly photographer adept at helping you capture outstanding images of the monarchs. See Expedition Leader bios with traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Promises a Superlative Butterfly Adventure
With Natural Habitat Adventures, you receive our exclusive guarantee that clearly states that we will meet the high expectations we set forth in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our small-group nature adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the planet’s leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures its worldwide travel partner—a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!