Click here to learn about our special photo departures.
- Visit Monarch Migration GrovesGuided by top naturalist Expedition Leaders, travel by horseback and on foot to remote forests where millions of brilliant monarchs congregate for the winter
- Listen to Butterfly WingsAs the sun emerges, listen for the gentle hum of butterfly wings as tens of thousands of monarchs take flight, fluttering overhead in a cloud of orange
- Encounter Local CultureExplore traditional Mexican mountain villages and visit an authentic market, witnessing the benefits of butterfly ecotourism for local people
See More Butterflies—and Experience Mexico’s Rural Mountain Culture
- Make Three Different Monarch Sanctuary Visits on an All-Inclusive Tour
Very few companies offer tours to see the migration phenomenon of Mexico’s monarch butterflies. Of those that do, typically just a day trip is provided to one sanctuary, and a full package tour is rare indeed. Our comprehensive itinerary includes three separate experiences of this natural marvel, with all accommodations, meals and round-trip transportation from Mexico City.
- Our Small Groups Tread Lightly
We limit our groups to approximately 16 guests. And our special photo departures are limited to just 12 guests in order to maximize personalized photography advice. Not only is this more ecologically sound—larger groups kick up more dust that can affect the butterflies’ respiration—but an intimate context is essential to enjoy a quiet, wondrous experience with the butterflies.
- Enjoy Captivating Cultural Encounters
Unlike most butterfly tours, which are simply day trips into a single sanctuary, we also include several authentic cultural experiences. At Toluca, originally an indigenous settlement founded in the 13th century, we visit the Cosmovitral Botanic Gardens and stained glass panels, and in the lakeside resort town of Valle de Bravo, we'll wander through the busy market in the colonial old town.
- Authentically Mexican Lodgings & Cuisine
From a cozy inn in the small mountain hamlet of Angangueo to a luxury resort situated in a lushly wooded region of the Sierra Madre Mountains, our accommodations are chosen for their authenticity, charm, natural environs and access to the butterflies. We also enjoy home-cooked dishes sourced from fresh local food, reflecting the region's cultural heritage.
- Your Presence Makes a Difference for the Future of Monarchs
Our experience is enhanced by knowing that our presence may be essential to the butterflies' continued survival: visitors demonstrate to locals that ecotourism can be as viable a source of economic wellbeing as resource development.
- Our Traveler-to-Guide Ratio Equals Personalized Service and Attention
At your side throughout your tour will be one or two Nat Hab Expedition Leaders. While the number of guides depends on the number in your travel group (usually not more than 16, and just 12 on photo trips), the maximum guest-to-guide ratio will never be more than 8:1.
- Outstanding Expedition Leaders with Unsurpassed Experience
Nat Hab has a well-deserved international reputation for employing the highest-quality Expedition Leaders in the industry. Our monarch guides average 19 years’ experience, with in-depth training as naturalists. And, they receive additional resources from WWF's top scientists. Photo tours are led by a guide who is not only a naturalist but also an expert photographer adept at helping you capture outstanding images of the butterflies. See Expedition Leader bios with traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Outstanding Butterfly Adventure
With Natural Habitat Adventures, you receive our exclusive guarantee that clearly states that we will meet the high expectations we set forth in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our small-group nature adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the planet’s leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures its worldwide travel partner—a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!