Community Initiatives at Nat Hab
As with our conservation initiatives, we view sustainability as a work in progress, and we would welcome your feedback or suggestions for how we can continue to improve. Feel free to email us.
Community Initiatives in our Global Field Operations
- Trip Donations — Each year, Nat Hab donates a minimum of $100,000 worth of free trips to non-profit organizations dedicated to conservation and environmental education in order to assist them with their fundraising efforts. To apply for a donation for your non-profit, click here.
- Churchill Donations — During polar bear season, Nat Hab donates unused seats on our charter flights between Winnipeg and Churchill to locals. Unused departures on our Polar Rovers (custom tundra vehicles used for polar bear viewing) are donated to local schools and community groups, providing Churchill residents the chance to experience amazing wildlife interactions in their backyard.
- Meaningful Interactions — In dozens of settings around the world, Nat Hab has sought out authentic cultural interactions to provide our guests with a meaningful understanding of and direct connection to the people and places we visit. In Papua New Guinea, we visit local villages in the Sepik Basin and spend time with the Huli people, who demonstrate their traditions and way of life and lead our guests in a Huli wig-making demonstration. In the San Juan Islands in Washington state, we visit a local salmon hatchery and learn its importance to the area's history and economy, then stop at a native Lummi midden to learn about the cultural history of the tribe. We meet with a Lummi elder who demonstrates traditional basket-weaving techniques while giving a talk about her life and people. In Belize, we visit with a local group of Garifuna people, who demonstrate traditional Garifuna dress, dancing and drumming and cassava making. In Utah, our guests meet with members of the Navajo nation, learning about their musical traditions and enjoying a Navajo flute lesson.
- Volunteer Days — Twice a year, Nat Hab staff volunteer as a group to support local charities and community projects.
- Local Donations — Nat Hab donates to local charities such as the Louisville Food Bank, Bike to Work, Global Explorers, Yoga Mats for Haiti, Team Ellie Bike Tour for Children with Cancer, Rock ’n’ Roll Denver Marathon, Crayons to Calculators, and the Giving Tree.