Our COVID-19 Response
- We’re further reducing group sizes
- Now even fewer guests per vehicle
- Travel even further from the crowds
- Enhanced sanitation protocols
- Additional social distancing throughout
- Revised booking/cancellation policies
- More options to make your trip private
- Reduced single supplement fees
As technology shrinks our planet and its farthest reaches become more accessible, novel adventures are ever rarer. But that's what you'll find at Natural Habitat’s Base Camp Greenland, a deluxe safari-style camp near the edge of the Greenland ice sheet. In East Greenland, one of the most isolated places on Earth, we are immersed in raw Arctic beauty while staying in solitude and surprsing comfort. Greenland in summer is glorious. Miniature wildflowers dot the tundra with color, and by early autumn, tiny lowbush blueberries and crowberries ripen as dwarf birch turns to gold and russet. Whales frequent the fjord, while icebergs, spawned from massive glaciers, glitter in the late sunset light. Beneath granite peaks that tower over deep inlets, Greenland’s east coast offers stunning hiking and kayaking. Nothing compares to East Greenland for an epic Arctic adventure on the front lines of a rapidly changing climate—and there’s no better way to experience it than from our wilderness base camp!
Click here to learn about our special photo departures.
- Exclusive Access to Remote East GreenlandMost visitors go to Greenland's populated west side, but our focus is on the wild, rarely visited east coast, where silence and solitude prevail
- A Luxury Arctic Safari CampStay in exceptional comfort at our isolated wilderness camp in view of the Greenland ice sheet, resident whales, bobbing seals and monumental peaks
- Diverse Daily AdventuresExplore fjords and islands by boat, helicopter, kayak and hikes; meet Greenlandic Inuit villagers, and witness climate change as melting glaciers spawn huge icebergs
Nat Hab's Deluxe Base Camp — The Best Way to Experience Greenland!
- An Exclusive Itinerary—We Go Where No One Else Does
Only Natural Habitat Adventures offers this unique itinerary into an exceedingly remote realm of vast fjords, huge icebergs and close-range views of the Greenland ice sheet. While other outfitters offer trips to Greenland, virtually none visit the remote east coast, and no one has the experience and expertise we do in the Sermilik Fjord complex.
- The Only "Luxury" Base Camp in Greenland
Constructed in 2015, our Arctic expedition camp offers creature comforts you'd never expect—including hot showers, private toilets and excellent gourmet meals—in one of Greenland's most remote sectors. From camp, we have access to close-up views of the Greenland ice sheet by Zodiac. Our location near the edge of Sermilik Fjord grants us an eye-level vantage point on huge icebergs floating by, and we often see whales and seals in the frigid waters.
- A Small-Group Wilderness Immersion
Our camp accommodates a maximum of 12 travelers. This small group size ensures an experience of solitude in the wilderness and personal attention from our guides. It's a markedly different experience to explore Greenland this way, rather than with hundreds of other travelers aboard a cruise ship who all go ashore together. You'll also benefit from enlightening evening lectures presented by our guides, who are expert Arctic naturalists.
- Scenic Helicopter Flight from Kulusuk to Tasiilaq
To expedite our arrival to Ammassalik Island where our Base Camp adventure begins, we make a scenic transfer via helicopter from Kulusuk to East Greenland’s small administrative capital of Tasiilaq. It’s much faster than traveling by boat, and you may even spot whales from the air. Depending on weather and ice conditions, we may also utilize helicopter transfers over the
snowcappedcoastal mountains to return from Base Camp.
- An Authentic Experience of Contemporary Greenlandic Culture
In addition to our time at Base Camp, we spend time in Kulusuk; Tasiilaq, the capital of East Greenland; and the tiny village of
Tinit, a 20-minute boat ride from camp. We’ll enjoy encounters with the people and culture of East Greenland and learn about their history on walks and a visit to the town museum in Tasiilaq. Most visitors never get to these remote communities, but our overnight stays allow us to meet the local Greenlandic Inuit, appreciate their enduring culture and traditions, and gain insight into the challenges and rewards of life in modern Greenland.
- Unmatched Depth of Greenland Guiding Experience
Our company has more East Greenland experience than any other outfitter. Olaf Malver pioneered commercial kayaking trips on Greenland’s east coast in the 1980s, including many historic exploratory "firsts," and his deep expertise has placed us in an unparalled position today. We know a nature adventure is only as good as the guide at the helm, and we provide the very best! See Expedition Leader bios and traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- The Absolute Best Equipment
As part of our unwavering commitment to safety and comfort, we use the best and most up-to-date expedition Zodiacs and kayaks available, as well as top-of-the-line safety gear. Our equipment is meticulously maintained, reducing the chance for unexpected mishaps. We also provide the highest-quality Mustang expedition suits for our guests' safety and warmth while on the water. When safety counts, only the best will do—and not every outfitter provides it.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Outstanding Greenland Adventure
When you travel with Natural Habitat, you receive our exclusive guarantee, clearly stating that we will meet the lofty expectations we set in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our worldwide adventures, we have been chosen by World Wildlife Fund—the world's leading environmental conservation organization—as its worldwide travel partner, a designation that makes us exceedingly proud.