Click here to learn about our special photo departures.
- Explore a Route Less TraveledLed by top naturalist guides, discover Costa Rica’s less-visited south Pacific coast, an unspoiled region rarely seen by typical tourists
- Enjoy Outstanding Wildlife ViewingFloat the Sierpe River to spy monkeys, crocodiles, iguanas and birds, and seek resplendent quetzals in the Talamanca Mountain cloud forest
- Stay at Secluded EcolodgesStay at remote ecolodges in Costa Rica's most tucked-away wild settings, where nature, intimacy, hospitality and local ambience prevail
Most Tourists Never See the Wildest Side of Costa Rica. With Us, You Will.
- Visit the Less-Traveled Southern Pacific Coast
This unconventional itinerary focuses on destinations farther from the standard tourist track, including Tiskita, a jungle lodge that's the best-kept secret in Costa Rica. Surrounded by tropical
rain forestinside an 800-acre private biological reserve near the Panama border, it's an unspoiled place rarely seen by most Costa Rica visitors.
- Chartered Planes Maximize Time in Nature while Minimizing Rugged Drives
We charter small planes to avoid TWO long drives on rough and winding roads. Fly directly from San Jose to remote Tiskita Jungle Lodge, and from Tiskita to Palmur Sur. Instead of time on the road, you'll spend your time in search of rain forest wildlife! Compare itineraries carefully: it's rare that anyone matches our combination of exclusivity and convenience, with a focus on less-traveled reserves.
- Small Groups Offer a Genuine Encounter with Nature
Unlike most tour operators, we limit our groups to just 10 guests. Whether you’re in the cloud forest, the rain forest or the coastal lowlands, you’ll have a more authentic nature experience without the chatter that bigger tour groups can't help but cause. We are able to focus on the sights and sounds of many animals and birds—such as the melodious call of the resplendent quetzal or the high-pitched chirps of white-faced capuchin monkeys—which are not afraid to stick around as we quietly approach.
- Explore Costa Rica's Most Pristine Cloud Forest Reserves
While many travelers focus on the duly famous Monteverde region, we take you into the more remote, less-impacted cloud forests of Savegre Nature Reserve and Los Quetzales National Park—far from big crowds, where birding and wildlife viewing in a peaceful, quiet context offers a coveted experience for the Costa Rica nature traveler.
- Cruise the Sierpe River on a Private Boat
While many tour groups share space aboard sightseeing boats with other companies’ guests, we explore the vast mangrove ecosystem of the Sierpe River on a privately chartered boat with an expert local guide. On our uncrowded small boat, there's no jostling for views or photos—it's just us and the abundant wildlife.
- Stay at Remote Ecolodges & See More Wildlife
Our accommodations, though highly regarded, aren't on the itineraries of most Costa Rica travelers. Secluded Tiskita Jungle Lodge is about as remote as you can get, located at the end of a dirt road on the hard-to-reach south Pacific coast. And in the cloud forests of the Talamanca Range, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, we are immersed in nature at Savegre Mountain Hotel. Along with a chance to see the resplendent quetzal, the Talamanca Mountains have one of the highest populations of endemic birds in the Americas.
- Our Top-End Vehicles Offer a Window Seat for Every Traveler
mini busesare ultra-spacious, with high ceilings, large windows, a wide aisle and ample space between seats. And since we never fill our vehicles to capacity, you’re assured a window seat plus plenty of room to spread out. Our vehicles also offer the smoothest ride you’ll find over Costa Rica’s sometimes-rugged roads.
- Your Nat Hab Expedition Leader is with You Throughout Your Entire Trip
In Costa Rica, where spotting wildlife in the
forestrequires finely honed skills, top naturalist guides are of the utmost importance. Rather than using a single driver-guide as a trip escort, which many companies do, a highly trained Nat Hab Expedition Leader personally escorts your group from start to finish. Each is a Costa Rica specialist averaging 20 years of experience, with additional training and resources from WWF scientists. We also travel with a seasoned driver/assistant guide, enabling us to divide into even smaller groups for more intimate nature encounters. See Expedition Leader bios and traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Costa Rica Adventure Is Top-Notch
When you travel with Natural Habitat Adventures, you receive our exclusive guarantee that clearly states that we will meet the high expectations we set forth in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise for yourself!
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF’s Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our small-group nature adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the world’s leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures its worldwide travel partner—a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!