- In-Depth Brown Bear PhotographySpend intensive, unhurried days photographing Alaskan brown bears at their biggest, as they gorge on the last of the annual salmon run during the changing seasons
- Solitude & Supreme Access in the Off-SeasonGet intimate bear shots when tourists are virtually nonexistent, gaining exclusive access via our chartered floatplane with wilderness flightseeing en route
- Shoot Alongside Top Naturalist GuidesOur Expedition Leader is not only a talented wildlife photographer but a career naturalist and bear expert, too—enhancing your chances for incredible shots!
A Different View
on the Bears of Brooks Falls...Only with Nat Hab!
Nothing evokes Alaska like bears and salmon. And the brown bears of Brooks Falls, devouring the last salmon before winter sets in, are among the planet’s most iconic wildlife photography subjects. While you won't see them fishing in the falls this time of year, they're still all over the area fattening up for winter on the salmon that remain—and this exclusive bear-focused photography expedition puts you right in the midst of
- More Bears, Few People—a Rare Off-Season Opportunity
We take you to the heart of the action near Brooks Lodge, but we arrive after public facilities have closed. We're likely to encounter very few other visitors, even though the bear population remains substantial, as they continue to frequent the river to feast on abundant salmon once Brooks Lodge closes for the season. Though it could be cold and rainy, we might also get low-angle autumn sunlight, lingering fall colors and potential snow dustings. With the bears at their heaviest weight, it's a photographer's dream.
- An Exclusive Photo-Focused Itinerary
Our itinerary is focused on bear photography from start to finish. On this 7-day trip (6 days in 2022, we spend five days in the field observing Alaskan brown bears. Our
privatechartered floatplane is on call to make sure we get close-up views of bears daily, wherever they may be. Even unpredictable late-season weather makes this a coveted adventure, since the prospect of frost or snow can provide a beautiful backdrop.
- Our Chartered Floatplane Ensures Proximity to the Bears
The special appeal of this trip is that if the bears are not hanging out directly around Brooks Falls on any given day, our chartered floatplane will deliver us to where they are. It's like a private "air taxi" that gets us wherever we want to go, maximizing time with the bears, plus photo opportunities from the air on our daily round-trips to Katmai National Park.
- Stay at an Exclusive Fly-In Wilderness Lodge
While conditions in the field are rugged, bush-style luxury awaits as we return to Alaska's Gold Creek Lodge each night. A remote retreat near the fly-in hamlet of King Salmon on the edge of Katmai National Park, this warm, well-appointed family-run lodge provides gourmet meals, a roaring fire, and deluxe private cabins that restore you for another day in the backcountry. It's the perfect respite after a day of bushwhacking in the elements as we go in search of bears to photograph.
- Outstanding Naturalist Guides Who Are Photography Pros
Our Expedition Leaders are outstanding photographers pros and bear experts—the combination you need to get coveted shots. Among Alaska's top naturalist guides and seasoned bear experts, they are highly accomplished wildlife photographers who are gifted at sharing tips with photographer peers. We take pride in employing the most qualified, dedicated and passionate natural history guides, who also receive additional training and resources from WWF scientists. Our Expedition Leaders regale guests with their in-depth knowledge while ensuring safety and comfort in every respect. See Expedition Leader bios and traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Outstanding Alaska Bear Photo Adventure
Natural Habitat Adventures offers an exclusive guarantee, which clearly states that we will meet the lofty expectations established in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our adventures. World Wildlife Fund—the planet's leading environmental conservation organization—has named Natural Habitat Adventures as its worldwide travel partner, a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!