Kingdom of the Monarchs
- Travel on foot and horseback with our Expedition Leaders to remote forest groves where millions of brilliant monarchs congregate for the winter
- Listen for the sound of butterfly wings as great clouds of monarchs take flight together in a swirl of orange
- Explore traditional Mexican mountain villages and visit an authentic market, witnessing the benefits of butterfly ecotourism for local people
See More Butterflies — and Experience Mexico’s Rural Mountain Culture
- Make Three Different Visits to the Monarch Sanctuaries—More Than Most
Very few companies offer tours to see the migration phenomenon of Mexico’s monarch butterflies. Of those that do, typically just one or two sanctuary visits are included. Our comprehensive itinerary includes three separate experiences of this natural marvel, for the fullest butterfly experience.
- Our Small Group Treads Lightly
We limit our groups to approximately 14 guests. Not only is this more ecologically sound—larger groups kick up more dust that can affect the butterflies’ respiration—but an intimate context is essential to enjoy your experience with the butterflies fully and take home lasting personal memories.
- Enjoy Unique Cultural Encounters
Unlike most butterfly tours, in addition to our focus on the monarchs, we also visit several fascinating cultural sites including Toluca, originally a 13th-century Indian settlement, where we’ll see the Cosmovitral Botanic Gardens and stained glass panels, and the lakeside market resort town of Valle de Bravo.
- Authentically Mexican Lodgings & Cuisine
From a cozy inn in the small mountain hamlet of Anguangeo to a luxury spa resort situated in a lushly wooded region of the Sierra Madre Mountains, our accommodations are chosen for their authenticity, charm, natural environs and access to the butterflies. We also enjoy home-cooked dishes sourced from fresh local food that reflects the cultural heritage of the places we visit.
- Our Traveler-to-Guide Ratio Equals Personalized Service and Attention
At your side throughout your tour will be one or two NHA Expedition Leaders. While the number of guides depends on the number in your travel group (usually not more than 14), we ensure that the maximum traveler-to-guide ratio will never be more than 8:1.
- Outstanding Expedition Leaders with Unsurpassed Experience
NHA has a well-deserved international reputation for employing the highest-quality Expedition Leaders in the industry. Our monarch guides average 19 years’ experience, with in-depth training as naturalists. And, they receive additional resources from WWF's top scientists. See Expedition Leader bios with traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Outstanding Butterfly Adventure
With Natural Habitat Adventures, you receive our exclusive guarantee that clearly states that we will meet the high expectations we set forth in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About the Way You Travel
We all care about the planet, and you can travel with us knowing that the emissions from your trip are 100-percent carbon-offset. Natural Habitat Adventures is the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company, a feature that is especially critical when considering that many of the species and habitats we visit are under substantial threat from our planet’s warming temperatures.
- Natural Habitat Adventures Is World Wildlife Fund’s Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our small-group nature adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the planet’s leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat its worldwide travel partner—a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!