Our COVID-19 Response
- We’re further reducing group sizes
- Now even fewer guests per vehicle
- Travel even further from the crowds
- Enhanced sanitation protocols
- Additional social distancing throughout
- Revised booking/cancellation policies
- More options to make your trip private
- Reduced single supplement fees
Click here to learn about our special photo departures
- Intimate Polar Bear EncountersIn a small group led by an expert naturalist guide, meet the world’s greatest concentration of polar bears as they wait for Hudson Bay to freeze and hunting season to begin
- Custom Vehicles Get You CloserWith huge windows and see-though steel grate flooring on the outdoor platform, our custom Polar Rovers get you safely up close to wild polar bears
- Experience Northern CultureMeet a local musher and his team on an authentic dog sled ride through the boreal forest, and enjoy cultural presentations from Churchill residents
There is a Difference in Polar Bear Tours—Choose Wisely!
- We Hold Exclusive Permits for the Best Bear Viewing Area
Just two polar bear tour operators in Churchill hold exclusive permits to access the full range of the Churchill Wildlife Management Area where the best—and often only—polar bear viewing occurs. Naturally, in our commitment to running the world’s greatest nature journeys, the Nat Hab/Great White Bear team possesses one of these permits. Those who don't can only offer trips aboard school-bus-style vehicles along the road to Halfway Point, which is, as the name implies, only halfway to the prime polar bear-viewing area. If you’re going to Churchill just once in your life, don't miss making it a complete experience!
- Our Polar Rovers are the Most Impressive Vehicles in the North
The original tundra truck designed for polar bear viewing was invented in the 1980s, an innovative concept that has since been substantially improved upon. Our partner in Manitoba, a world-renowned specialty vehicle designer, has created the world's premier tundra vehicle—the Polar Rover—which we operate exclusively in Churchill. Its innovative drive train allows us to traverse the tundra with virtually no chance of breakdowns. With the advanced elite suspension system that smooths the ride, plus on-board flush toilet facilities (rather than odorous drop buckets), our guests enjoy a superior level of comfort and safety.
- Steel Mesh Flooring Offers Close-Up Bear Observation
Built into the rear viewing platform of every Polar Rover is an innovative and exclusive feature we've pioneered for optimal polar bear viewing—corrugated steel-mesh floors that let us witness from remarkably close proximity the curious bears that often wander beneath our vehicles!
- The Smallest Groups Ensure the Best Nature Adventures
A fundamental element of a successful nature expedition is a small group. It may cost a little more, but considering the hugely superior experience, we know it’s well worth it. By limiting our groups to approximately 16 guests (even though our Polar Rovers hold more than 30 passengers), we ensure that every guest has plenty of space aboard our vehicles to enjoy a window seat, angle for the best photos of polar bears, and enjoy a personal experience with the polar bears without too much intrusion from other travelers.
- Private Chartered Planes Maximize Our Time with the Bears
So we don't waste precious time planning around airline schedules and making our way through airport security screenings, we charter our own private aircraft, flying directly from Winnipeg to Churchill at a time that is most convenient for us. We’d rather maximize our time watching bears and exploring the tundra, rather than sitting around airports.
- Sled Dog Experience Included on Every Departure
Every one of our Churchill tours includes a personal visit with a local dog musher and his team, and the chance to glide through the boreal forest on a dog sled ride! During the earlier part of our season, if there isn't sufficient snow cover, the dogs will pull our guests in a wheeled cart. But whenever you come to Churchill, this authentic Northern adventure is standard on all departures.
- Special Photography-focused Departures Spend Three Full Days on the Tundra
Our custom Polar Rovers allow us to get within prime photography range of polar bears, and our photo departures spend three full days roving the open tundra in search of bears and exceptional photos.
- The Finest Naturalist Guides on the Planet
Natural Habitat Adventures is known worldwide for employing the highest-quality guides in the industry. Our Polar Bear Expedition Leaders—who have been guiding bear tours for an average of more than 10 years each—receive additional training and resources from WWF’s top scientists, ensuring the best interpretive experience available. Expedition Leaders meet each guest in Winnipeg and travel with the group the entire way, sharing their wealth of knowledge and insight at every step. On our special photo departures, guides are also professional photographers with extensive experience photographing polar bears and other Arctic wildlife—and they're constantly by your side to share their knowledge. Our philosophy is pretty simple: a nature adventure is only as good as the guide, so we simply must provide the best! See Expedition Leader bios with traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Local Cultural Interactions Enhance Our Adventures
Through years of developing close relationships with local people, we are able to offer our guests exclusive opportunities to meet revered elders of First Nations, Inuit and Metis cultural groups in Churchill. These storytellers are some of the most senior in their communities, passing on their knowledge of the past to younger generations and, fortunately for us, also to our travelers.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Special Polar Bear Experience
Natural Habitat Adventures offers an exclusive guarantee, clearly stating that we will meet the lofty expectations we set in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise.
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our adventures, World Wildlife Fund, the world's leading environmental conservation organization, has named Natural Habitat Adventures as its worldwide travel partner, a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!