Our COVID-19 Response
- We’re further reducing group sizes
- Now even fewer guests per vehicle
- Travel even further from the crowds
- Enhanced sanitation protocols
- Additional social distancing throughout
- Revised booking/cancellation policies
- More options to make your trip private
- Reduced single supplement fees
Click here to learn about our special photo departures.
- Smallest Group, Closest EncountersWith just six travelers, get close to the Big Five on a diverse sampler of South Africa’s top private wildlife enclaves, including MalaMala
- Remote Luxury Camps & LodgesStay in solitude at exclusive safari camps and small lodges chosen for their secluded natural settings and proximity to abundant wildlife
- Uncrowded Private ReservesExplore a diverse cross-section of wild habitats in Sabi Sand, Marataba and Botswana's Mashatu—where animals abound and visitors are few
Secluded Wildlife Viewing Away from the Crowds
- Maximum Group Size Just Six Travelers!
An authentic encounter with nature is hard to achieve in a big group. While South Africa’s tarmac road system and established network of lodges
encouragesa more bus-based safari approach, and many of our competitors travel with 15-20 guests, we limit our groups to six, lessening our impact and granting us access to small camps and remote spots larger groups can't get to. We promise the most personalized safari experience available!
- Private Reserves Offer Seclusion & Superior Wildlife Viewing
Private reserves are essential to the best African safari, especially in South Africa. In the exclusive wilderness areas of Sabi Sand, Marataba and Mashatu, we explore exceptionally varied habitats in solitude, viewing abundant wildlife away from other visitors (who are mostly traveling on paved roads inside the parks with lots of other people).
- An Unusually Diverse Itinerary
Most South Africa safaris concentrate on Kruger National Park, and rightfully so, as its wildlife is legendary. Naturally, our itinerary includes the Greater Kruger ecosystem, but we focus on private reserves, where visitor numbers are strictly limited. MalaMala has an unfenced border with the park, so wildlife can wander back and forth freely. Our itinerary also includes the less-visited Marataba Reserve and rarely seen Mashatu, just over the border at the southern tip of Botswana, adding yet more elements of diversity with completely different ecosystems and landscapes. Look for large elephant herds in Mashatu, and capitalize on excellent odds to see the Big Five in Sabi Sand. Compare itineraries: few are as comprehensive as this one!
- Remote & Intimate Luxury Accommodations
Most visitors to South Africa are relegated to larger, impersonal safari lodges that dominate in the public parks. Since our focus is private reserves, our guests enjoy exclusive boutique lodgings. Our isolated luxury camps are highlights in their own right. Each blends seamlessly with the natural environment, and tents and chalets have private verandas to maximize personal wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Flights Maximize Your Time on Safari
While we enjoy watching the countryside unfold on drives between some destinations, we put a big focus on flights, arranging air transfers where possible to maximize your time with wildlife, rather than spending too much of it negotiating rough roads. And from the air, you'll gain a whole different perspective on South Africa’s dramatic landscapes and roaming wildlife.
- The Very Best Vehicles—with a Window Seat for All
Standard safaris typically utilize cramped mini buses. In contrast, we charter top-quality custom safari vehicles that optimize comfort. Our 4x4 Land Rovers and Land Cruisers have a suspension system designed for safari terrain, and an open-top, open-sided, tiered seating arrangement designed to maximize game-viewing opportunities. Each vehicle has 10 cushioned passenger seats, but since we don't fill them to capacity, everyone has an unimpeded side view. Each row is raised slightly higher than the one in front of it, allowing for unobstructed views of scenery and wildlife.
- Exclusive Opportunities to Explore via Bush Walks and Night Drives
Guided bush walks and night drives are available on the private reserves we visit, though not in national parks, where most safaris go. You'll appreciate the rare opportunity to stretch your legs while on safari as we get close-up views of interesting smaller species, which most safari-goers confined to vehicles miss. And drives after dark reveal fascinating nocturnal wildlife that's rarely seen by the typical traveler.
- South Africa's Most Outstanding Safari Guides
We are exceptionally proud to provide the personalized service of some of South Africa’s top naturalist guides. We employ only the most highly trained and experienced Safari Expedition Leaders. Rather than relying on less-qualified local camp guides at each stop, our NHA Expedition Leaders accompany our guests from start to finish. Our Expedition Leaders average 15 years' experience each, with additional resources provided by WWF’s leading scientists. See Expedition Leader bios and traveler comments regarding the quality of our leaders.
- Our Quality-Value Guarantee Ensures Your Superior South Africa Safari
With Natural Habitat Adventures, you receive our exclusive guarantee, which clearly states that we will meet the lofty expectations we set in our promotional materials. To our knowledge, this is the most ambitious guarantee made by any adventure travel company. Read our important promise for yourself!
- Feel Good About Your Carbon-Neutral Journey
We care deeply about our planet, as we know you do. When you travel with us, the carbon emissions from your trip are 100% offset—including your round-trip flights from home. Natural Habitat Adventures has been the world’s first carbon-neutral travel company since 2007.
- Natural Habitat Adventures is WWF's Travel Partner
Because of our commitment to environmentally friendly travel, as well as the exceptional quality of our adventures, World Wildlife Fund—the world's leading environmental conservation organization—has named Natural Habitat Adventures as its worldwide travel partner, a designation that makes us exceedingly proud!