Lords of the Manor
Upper Slaughter, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Lords of the Manor is a privately owned 17th-century country house hotel located in the unspoiled Cotswold village of Upper Slaughter (the name of which comes from the Old English "slohtre" meaning a slough or muddy place—though today there is no mud in sight, only the peaceful ribbon of the River Eye flowing through the village). The luxury inn—one of the finest in the Cotswolds—surveys a large lawn and 8 acres of elaborate gardens along the river. Its 24 rooms reflect the property's heritage that dates to 1649, when the original manor house was built. It became a rectory in 1808 when the Reverend Francis Edward Witts and family moved in, becoming lords of Upper Slaughter and establishing ownership of the manor by his heirs that would last into the 1980s. Throughout the Second World War, the property was occupied by the Army. In 1972, the manor was converted into a hotel by Francis Witts, who managed it until it was sold in 1985. The Munir family has owned and run it since 1997.
Today, rooms are located in both the Old Rectory and in the converted barn and granary that adjoins the main house. No two rooms are alike in terms of layout; some lie under steeply pitched roofs with timbered eaves, and each is individually furnished and decorated in a manner befitting the inn's historic character. All have flat screen TVs, DVD players, iPod docks and complimentary Wi-Fi, plus Damana toiletries in the well-appointed bathrooms. Tea and fresh coffee-making facilities are provided, along with locally made elderflower presse. The inn has two fine restaurants: the smaller, more formal Atrium is the newest addition. The award-winning Dining Room, richly decorated in tones of gold and silver, offers an elegant yet relaxed atmosphere with views overlooking the hotel’s walled garden, herb garden and ornamental fruit espaliers. It features classic dishes with a creative twist and is noted on the Times of London's "Most Romantic Restaurants in the UK" list. Guests enjoy making the easy 1-mile walk between the villages of Upper and Lower Slaughter, which showcases all that is loved most about the area, from perfectly preserved cottages built of honey-colored limestone to small churches, rose gardens and roughly cobbled lanes.